Friday, August 14, 2009

eBay (A.K.A. One Woman's Trash is Another Woman's Treasure)


Let me just tell you how much I love eBay. Seriously. And let me tell you how much I love eBay now that I am planning for a wedding on a budget!

Early summer is a peak time for weddings, which means late summer/early autumn is a peak time for eBay deals on previously-owned wedding stuff. Now is the time to find great deals on all those items that only get used for a little bit, never to be seen again. Here are some items I highly recommend you buy on eBay, rather than buying new:

Card box
Cake knife set
Ring bearer pillow
Flower girl baskets
Archway/arbor (or rent one)
Table linens (custom-made overlays that the venue doesn't provide)
Unity candle holders
Cake/cupcake stands (mine will be on sale on eBay following our wedding)
Bubbles
Ribbon, tulle, and all that swag
Favors boxes
Artificial flowers
Easels (for displaying photos and seating charts)
Unused guest book
Guest book pen sets
Paper lanterns
Cake toppers
Shoes (I always buy my Steve Maddens off eBay)

Think of all the savings! For those of you who are extremely practical, you can buy wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses on eBay or other online stores, too. Part of me wants to sell my wedding dress on eBay after the wedding - that's the part of me that resembles Steve Martin's character in Father of the Bride (recall the hotdog/hotdog bun scene). I most likely won't, but it's tempting, especially when one considers the cost to have the thing cleaned and stored after the wedding.

Happy bargain shopping!

No comments: